Yes, the Iron Man suit. That’s what I imagine Augmented Reality to be.
The days of augmented reality headsets like the Hololens are still far off. However, we carry high resolution screens and powerful cameras in our smartphones. Using phones as a means to augment reality will make this technology available to the masses.
After a long wait, we finally have the first official look at the Samsung Galaxy S8. First impressions: looks amazing and can't wait to try it out.
- Two sizes: a 5.8" Galaxy S8 and a 6.2" Galaxy S8 Plus
- No physical home button, but a pressure sensitive virtual home button
- Comes in 5 colours
- New 10nm processor (Snapdragon 835 or Exynos), 4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage (expandable using microSD)
- Camera: f/1.7 12 MP rear, f/1.7 8 MP front
- Face recognition, iris scanning and fingerprint sensor
- AKG headphones in the box
- USB-C, Headphone jack (yay!)
- Bixby: new way to interact with Galaxy S8 though voice, camera etc. Contextually aware assistant.
- Samsung Dex: hook up S8 to monitor, keyboard and mouse and use as a full computer
- New Gear VR with Bluetooth motion controller
- New Gear 360 camera
No pricing information available yet, but The Verge reports it to be around $720 for the base model.
The Galaxy S8 is coming real soon - the company has confirmed its launch date to be March 29th 2017. This year’s revision will be a big step forward for the Galaxy S series in terms of design, as the trailer video (below) shows. So what do we really know about the phone?
It’s called Nokia 6, and for now, it is a China exclusive.
The Nokia 6 is an entry level Android phone for the budget pressed buyers. It is priced at 1699 Yuan (approx. 17,000 INR or US$250), and it has a fair set of specs for the price.
Happy New Year!
It’s a new year, which means we will have another year full of crazy new gadgets and gizmos, new operating systems, new cars and new frontiers for technology development. On the first day of 2017, it will be hard to guess what will make a mark and what will fade away form the public’s eyes. One thing for sure: it’ll be great. So let’s predict the future!
Autonomous, electric automobiles
2017 will be a big year for autonomous, smart cars. If Tesla is on track, their Model 3 car will be public this year. This will ensure positive competition from other car manufacturers including GM, Ford and Toyota to build an affordable smart, electric car. There will also be another competitor: Faraday Future. In the coming week, we will see Tesla’s newest competitor take stage at CES 2017 to announce their first production vehicle.
Google finally made a phone that competes against the iPhone: the Google Pixel. Pixel phones are made by Google inside out, and are designed for the purest Android experience. The Pixel replaces the Nexus phones and allows Google to really innovate on the hardware side of their smartphone business, to make the hardware high optimised for their OS.