Yes, the Iron Man suit. That’s what I imagine Augmented Reality to be.
The days of augmented reality headsets like the Hololens are still far off. However, we carry high resolution screens and powerful cameras in our smartphones. Using phones as a means to augment reality will make this technology available to the masses.
After a long wait, we finally have the first official look at the Samsung Galaxy S8. First impressions: looks amazing and can't wait to try it out.
- Two sizes: a 5.8" Galaxy S8 and a 6.2" Galaxy S8 Plus
- No physical home button, but a pressure sensitive virtual home button
- Comes in 5 colours
- New 10nm processor (Snapdragon 835 or Exynos), 4 GB RAM, 64 GB storage (expandable using microSD)
- Camera: f/1.7 12 MP rear, f/1.7 8 MP front
- Face recognition, iris scanning and fingerprint sensor
- AKG headphones in the box
- USB-C, Headphone jack (yay!)
- Bixby: new way to interact with Galaxy S8 though voice, camera etc. Contextually aware assistant.
- Samsung Dex: hook up S8 to monitor, keyboard and mouse and use as a full computer
- New Gear VR with Bluetooth motion controller
- New Gear 360 camera
No pricing information available yet, but The Verge reports it to be around $720 for the base model.
The Galaxy S8 is coming real soon - the company has confirmed its launch date to be March 29th 2017. This year’s revision will be a big step forward for the Galaxy S series in terms of design, as the trailer video (below) shows. So what do we really know about the phone?