The world’s cheapest smartphone is hitting the market - at a remarkably cheap $4 or Rs. 251. Yes, your eyes are not cheating you. It literally costs lesser than that pizza you ate last night.
Yes, this phone is driving people insane. Have a look at the spec sheet:
- 1.3Ghz Quad-core processor,
- 1 GB RAM,
- 8 GB internal storage (expandable to 32 GB),
- 4” qHD IPS display,
- 3.2 MP Auto-focus camera,
- 0.3 MP front camera,
- 1450 mAh battery
- Android 5.1
Plus, it comes in a box… with headphones. And the phone is sold with 1 year warranty, serviceable at 650+ service centres.
At that price, you cannot complain against anything the phone has to offer. The Digital India campaign is sure showing us its preliminary results, but until we see people using this phone, the aim hasn’t been fulfilled. The first step would be to sell it - which is going to happen tomorrow.
You can register your pre-order tomorrow (Feb 18) 6 AM IST onwards at www.freedom215.com. The phone will ship in a few months (hopefully).
(If you are experiencing issues with the website, please reload and wait, or try after some time.)
Here are the features, directly from its website:
EDIT (18 Feb, 10 PM IST): Considering a multitude of factors, I have realised that purchasing this phone might prove to be dangerous. Here are some reasons:
1. The cost of manufacturing this phone is, at its cheapest, Rs. 2700. If this phone is sold for ignorable profit margin, it's retail price will still be Rs. 3500 at minimum.
2. The phone doesn't look anywhere as close to how it is displayed on the website. The below pictures by NDTV on Facebook show the phone's similarity to the iPhone - which means there are chances that Apple will file a lawsuit against the company.
The website looks like a scam too - it keeps refreshing the 'cart' page when the pay button is clicked. Moreover, the banner image was never properly updated until just a few hours ago, when the company shut down taking pre-orders because of the overwhelming number of server requests.
I personally would recommend you to avoid this phone entirely as there is a lot of suspicion behind the price, the website and the activities by the company. Beware.
Source: Indiatimes http://snip.ly/uqycg