To use YouTube to the fullest, here are five things you must know:
- Sign in! To be honest, I’m surprised at the fact that many people don’t sign in on YouTube. Unless you sign in, YouTube is a website that will make you feel lost. When you are signed in, YouTube will analyse your likes, your watch history and your uploads to find you the videos you would crave to watch. I find myself clicking on a lot of “recommended” videos that YouTube tells me to watch, and I have discovered a lot of the channels mentioned below out of this exercise.
- YouTube is not just entertainment. With over 300 hours of footage being uploaded to the servers of YouTube every minute, YouTube is not just a place for movie trailers and music. I use YouTube for everything from watching news to technology related videos to music and sports and daily vlogs.
- YouTube is a lot like Facebook. Did you read that? Yes, I consider YouTube a social media platform. Just like Facebook has pages, YouTube has channels you can subscribe to. Videos are like posts on the page. And the comments and likes are exactly like Facebook. If you can get addicted to Facebook, you can definitely get addicted to YouTube. It is just perspective.
- There are communities on YouTube. There is no “community” option or feature on YouTube, but once you are really into YouTube, you’ll realise what I mean. For example, there is this “tech community” which includes people like Marques Brownlee (MKBHD), Lewis (Unboxed Therapy), Austin Evans, Jonathan Morrison (TLD Today), Linus (Linus Tech Tips) and more. These guys produce videos, do collaborations and usually meet at CES each year. And tech enthusiasts like me follow almost everyone in the “community”.
- Watch everything! Once I subscribe to a channel I really like, I usually turn on the notification feature on YouTube to notify me whenever a new video is out from that channel. I often watch every single video on the channel from the day I subscribe to it. YouTube is all about that - as a content producer, you want your loyal followers to watch all your videos. And once you are a loyal follower, you can’t deny how much you enjoy watching each of the videos as they rollout on the channel.
- Sign in using your Google account.
- Subscribe to the channels of your interest. You may or may not like them eventually, so you always have the option to unsubscribe.
- Watch a lot of videos: Try using YouTube like a social media platform.
- Never say no to recommendations. Who know, your next inspiration or idea might be right around the corner!
- Explore YouTube yourself. Search for interesting topics.
And that is it! Now you are so much better at YouTube.
YouTube will keep you informed and entertained all day, if you choose the right channels to watch and the right people to learn from. YouTube has played an influential role in my life, and I was inspired to start Technonerds after watching the budding tech community on YouTube.
YouTube has replaced my cable TV entirely. I watch with my family daily video blogs and “interesting facts” videos. I’ll be putting down my list of favourite YouTubers in an upcoming post this week, so definitely stay tuned to the blog.
Now you know how to use YouTube to its fullest potential, so start watching!