Starting with the OSX.
1. Improved Search: The new Spotlight Search can now do so much more, including provide weather results, or the score of a recent game. Spotlight will also search by natural language, so you can find files by typing “Show me the document I was working on last Tuesday” or “the projects I did July last year”. It’ll also search inside apps, so you can, for example, find a particular note in the Notes app. Apart from Spotlight, all the search bars, including the ones in Finder and Safari are improved. You can now search using natural language within Finder too!
- Mail gets multitouch swipe features and brings the iOS style Compose box that will slide down when you want to read your mail. You can drag and drop into the compose box directly from the inbox while writing a mail.
- Notes gets a much needed upgrade. You can now make to-do lists, drag photos or drop in links into notes. Links will automatically show a thumbnail preview (that’ll even show up on the Notes list).
- Photos now accepts third-party editing tools, just like the iOS app does. The app is said to be more faster and responsive.
- Safari gets pinned tabs, so you can always have your favourite websites up and running at all times. The pinned tabs take up less space and load up instantly as they are continually refreshed in the background. Safari also gets a speaker icon on the search bar to control audio playing from any of the open tabs, so you can mute a YouTube video without even switching to the YouTube tab.
Here are the 3 biggest features in the new iOS:
Wallet is the new Passbook. Wallet will now hold not only credit cards, but also store/privilege cards. Apple also announced that Apple Pay is coming to the UK soon.
The new Notes app comes to iOS as well.
Overall, the improvements are great, but not major. I’ll drop a review of the public preview of both these when I get my hands on them in July.
Check back tomorrow to learn more about Apple Music. If you liked this article, remember to hit the like button and share! Keep Technonerding!