Yes, you are reading this on the internet.
The internet is a pretty difficult thing to explain. Its not a ‘thing’ really, its a bunch of connections. Millions, in fact billions of people use the internet, but very few people know how it all works.
This time, rather than you reading how the internet works, here are a few infographics to help you understand.
However, here are the basics of the internet, without which you might not understand the infographics...
1. You. The user (or client).
2. Your ISP, or Internet Service Provider. Its the company that provides you with an internet connection.
3. Servers. The same definition as the one in your computer text books. Its the place that accepts your requests for data.
4. Packets, or small pieces of data. Many packets come together to form one website.
5. Domains. The “address” to the website.
6. Data centres. The place that holds the data, and sends it when a request arrives.
Here are the infographics: (You might want to click on their source to get a better quality view of the text.)
So that is about it. A full cycle takes under a second to happen. Also, its important to understand that information on the internet is not stored at one place, but a million different places. Each networking device asks for information from various sources to get you what you need.
The internet is ever expanding and is becoming an essential in today’s world. With the growing number of devices, as well as the access to the internet, people are enabled to share more than ever, farther than ever.