Until a few days ago, LG was going nowhere in the smartphone game. However, LG didn’t stop innovating. The result of this is reflected in the partial success of the LG V10. But the LG G5 is a completely new ball-game… bringing in the best of all their previous products, improving upon it and adding a plethora of all new accessories to make it more desirable. The LG G5 is a fantastic phone, both on paper, and in the real world.
Let’s talk inside first:
The spec sheet is top notch, just as expected. The LG G5 runs the Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor with Adreno 530 graphics, paired with 4 GB RAM. Here are the other specs:
The G5 houses a dual camera setup. The module contains a standard 78 degree lens and a wide-angle 135 degree lens. The wide-angle lens is literally 15 degrees wider than the human eye, which means you can capture a large area standing close to the subject. Powering the cameras are the Qualcomm Hexagon DSP and Qualcomm Spectra 14-bit dual image signal processors (ISPs) designed to deliver high resolution DSLR-quality images.
LG also stressed on the always-on display on the G5. Just like on the LG V10, the display shows the time and relevant notifications without the need to touch your phone. Unlike the V10, there is no secondary display - the primary display itself is always-on. LG says that it only consumes 0.85% of battery per hour, so it’s not a battery guzzler.
The important thing though is the modular design of the G5. Yes, the construction is a unibody metal frame, but the bottom of the phone simply snaps out like this:
You can then change the battery, or use a completely different module to enhance the capabilities of the phone. Which leads to the external accessories that are made for this device...
LG today showed us two modules for the LG G5:
1. LG CAM Plus: This module adds a camera grip to the G5, along with a physical shutter button, a zoom dial and extra battery (1200 mAh) to the phone.
2. LG Hi-Fi Plus with B&O PLAY: In collaboration with B&O PLAY, LG introduced this module which is essentially a portable Hi-Fi DAC audio player.
We also got a lot of accessories, called “Friends”, for the phone, so here is a brief about each of them...
1. LG 360 VR: This is my favourite accessory - connect this portable VR headset to the G5 and you can experience high quality virtual reality content without the need of your phone in front of your face. It tries to solve all the problems that comes with Google Cardboard, by providing a lightweight frame, individual 639 ppi displays.
2. LG 360 CAM: The 360 CAM captures full 360 degree pictures and 2K video by holding it up and clicking a button. Moreover, this content can be uploaded to Google Street View, YouTube 360 and can be viewed using the 360 VR headset. Impressive!
3. LG Rolling Bot: This one is all ‘bout the fun factor. This Sphero like bot rolls around your house, live streaming video video. Playing with cats just got a lot of fun - with technology!
4. LG Tone Platinum: A Harman Kardon Platinum grade bluetooth headset equipped with aptX HD codec, for lossless 24-bit audio.
5. LG Smart Controller: Although still in prototype stage, this smart controller is made in collaboration with Parrot to make drone flying a piece of cake.
And to bring all of these accessories together, LG introduced the “Friends Manager” app, which pairs with any of these accessories in 3 taps.
That rounds up the press conference for a brilliant phone that might prove to be the key to LG Smartphone’s success. Let’s see how it goes!
Lots more MWC coverage coming soon! The list of live streams is here, so you can join the tech carnival as well.
Follow me on Facebook and Twitter for live updates.